TUSCALOOSA, Ala. –– The Alabama men’s tennis team opens the doubles season with Mercer and Samford on Saturday at the Roberta Alison Baumgardner tennis facility. The Crimson Tide will face the Bears at 13:00 CT before fighting the Bulldogs at 18:00 CT.
Admission to all Alabama tennis matches is free. The use of masks is strongly recommended.
- Venue: Roberta Alison Baumgardner Tennis Facility
- Saturday, January 15
- Mercer – 1 p.m. CT
- Samford – 6 pm CT
How to follow
- Links to the live score and video of both matches will be available on RollTide.com. Updates will be provided on the team’s Twitter account, @AlabamaMTN.
Looking back on autumn
- Juan Martín i Filip Planinsek gathered an impressive fall season, winning an automatic spot at the ITA National Fall Championships after winning the doubles draw at the ITA Southern Regional in Auburn, Ala.
- Martin and Planinsk won back-to-back matches on the final day of the ITA South Regionals, 6-4, 6-2 and 6-2, 7-6 (4), respectively, in the semifinals and finals.
- At the local team tournament, the Alabama Four-In-The-Fall, Planinsek, Joao Ferreira i Enzo Aguiard remained undefeated in individual games while Patrick Kaukovalta i German Samofalov he was undefeated in doubles
- Martin led the Tide in the MSU Bulldog Invitational, recording a pair of singles victories before recording two doubles victories
- Ferreira advanced to the UA in his final tournament in 2021 with two singles victories and a doubles victory with partner Aguiard at the UCF Invitational
A look at the tide
- Alabama welcomed six new faces to the program, including transfers Juan Martín of TCU i Joao Ferreira of Lynn along with freshmen Enzo Aguiard, Zach Foster, Filip Planinsek i German Samofalov
- Patrick Kaukovalta i Rudi Christiansen return to the program after having helped the UA to make its 20th Appearance of the NCAA Tournament team and fourth head coach George Husack last season
- The NCAA place was the third in a row for the tide, after advancing in 2018 and 2019 (there was no NCAA tournament in 2020 due to the CoVID 19 pandemic)
- Planinsek and Martin enter the spring season as the doubles number 16 according to the latest ITA ranking
- Planinsek ranks 83rd in singles, while the doubles pair of Aguiard and Planinsek ranks 52nd.nd
Listen to the competition
- Alabama hosts Mercer and Samford on Saturday as Tide begin the two-game season
- This is the second season in a row that Alabama has opened the spring against Samford, as the two teams have faced each other for three years in a row.
- Alabama has a 38-10 record against the Bulldogs after sweeping the doubles game last season 6-1 and 5-2, respectively.
- This is only the second match between UA and Mercer with Alabama recording a 5-1 victory in the single meeting on March 22, 2015.
- Mercer set an 11-14 overall record last season, while Samford finished 13-8.
- Both teams advanced to the Southern Conference semifinals last year
Get all the latest information about the team by following AlabamaMTN on Twitter, Instagram, and Facebook. General athletics news can also be found on UA_Athletics on Twitter and Instagram and Alabama Athletics on Facebook.
– UA –
#Alabama #mens #tennis #opens #home #double #header #Saturday